A Brief History of the Town Hall
Stanley Town Hall was opened in 1911, the town hall is an asymmetrical two storied building constructed in the Federation Free Style of architecture at the time of the federation of Australian States into the Commonwealth of Australia.
The architect was Alexander North (1858-1945) born and educated in England, who immigrated to Hobart in 1883. In Tasmania, North became known as an outstanding church architect. His Stanley Town Hall building, constructed by builder W.McDonald of Launceston, is a monolithic concrete structure with the walls being executed in a series of horizontal pours. North was a pioneer of concrete construction in Tasmania.
Around 1930 the main auditorium was renovated in the then fashionable Art Deco style so that it could accommodate a cinema, known as the Crystal Talkies, as well as live entertainment.
In 1998 Stanley Town Hall was placed on the permanent list of the Tasmanian Heritage Register as a fine example of a local government building in its architectural style and because its “townscape associations are regarded as important to the community’s sense of place”
The Hall was enhanced in 2009 by builder Stronach Constructions with the addition of dressing rooms for visiting performers and a fully equipped kitchen for the catering of events and functions.
In 2010-11 a State Government grant allowed a substantial renovation project to celebrate the buildings centennial. The improvements included full restoration of the auditorium décor, new seating, new house and stage lighting, sound systems and projection equipment, new toilet facilities, extensive electrical rewiring, window replacement and external painting of the building. The construction for these improvements was carried out by builder Bishop Constructions.
- Address: 10 Church Street, Stanley